Thursday, March 2, 2017

(Un)Motivate Me!

What I realized today is that all students are motivated.  Some of my students are motivated to play games on their Chromebooks; some of my students are motivated to yell across the classroom; some of my students are motivated to discuss the difference between Romeo's character and Juliet's character in Act II, Scene II.  This was a welcome epiphany!  Knowing that my students are all capable of being motivated, my job now is to redirect or further encourage these motivations.

An engaging and motivating activity I learned about today is using My Maps.  Diana Simpson, sorceress of technology and wizardess of Chemistry, shared this resource with me today.  In this app, students can create maps of their own; her students are using their maps to identify natural resources that have been degraded.  Hearing her describe this activity, I wished I had been in her class today!

There are some enlightening texts and useful videos that we've had access to in our Motivation! Study Group, but by far the most relevant, delightful, and heartening suggestions have come from my peers.  I am so looking forward to "stealing" these tips and tricks for my classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment